Part-Time Law Clerk—Paid Position (Missouri)
The Roderick and Solange MacArthur Justice Center (RSMJC) is accepting applications for parttime law clerks in its Saint Louis, Missouri office, for both Fall 2019 and Spring 2020 semesters. This is a paid position, although law clerks may, alternatively, receive credit for their work if their schools offer such programs.
RSMJC is a national, non-profit law firm founded to fight unfairness in the criminal legal system through litigation at the trial, appellate, and Supreme Court levels on behalf of people directly impacted by the system. The Missouri office, working in collaboration with four other RSMJC offices, seeks to advance criminal and racial justice in the Midwest generally, and the St. Louis region in particular, through civil litigation initiatives. To date, our work has included problematic municipal court practices, protecting the rights of protestors, demanding appropriate medical care for inmates, fighting death sentences, and calling for constitutionally-compliant parole grant and revocation hearings. For more information about our new office, visit our website: https://www.macarthurjustice.org/missouri/.
Law clerks perform a range of duties to support the office’s trial work, advocacy, and outreach. Such tasks may include assisting with client intake in jails, prisons, and the community, field investigations, legal research, discovery support, and evidence preparation.
- JD student in good standing—prefer advanced standing students but will consider 1Ls;
- Energetic self-starter with a passion for criminal justice reform and a desire to effectuate change in the St. Louis region;
- Strong research, writing, and organizational skills;
- Ability to follow-through on assignments independently;
- Maturity and flexibility around changing priorities and deadlines as needed;
- Strong attention to detail and commitment to completing tasks quickly and thoroughly;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to engage with clients and others in the community;
- Ability to investigate facts and effectively communicate findings to litigation team;
- Dedication to zealous advocacy and building client-centered relationships;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Experience with computer systems and databases; and
- Meticulous record and time keeping skills.
- Prior experience working on social justice campaigns and/or with justice-system involved adults and juveniles a plus.
Location: Saint Louis, Missouri
Deadline: Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until hiring complete. To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume by e-mail to email@example.com, with the subject line “Law Clerk Application.”
RSMJC is committed to equity and equal opportunity and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, disability, age, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, race or ethnicity.