Missouri Senior Paralegal
The Roderick and Solange MacArthur Justice Center (RSMJC) is accepting applications for a full-time Senior Paralegal with its Saint Louis, Missouri office. RSMJC is a public interest law firm that litigates high-impact civil rights and systemic reform cases in courts around the country. For more information about RSMJC and its past work, visit http://www.macarthurjustice.org/Missouri.
Role & Responsibilities:
RSMJC is looking for a paralegal with at least five years of experience who is passionate about criminal justice issues to join its Missouri office. The successful candidate will support litigation concerning a broad array of issues, including prisoner and detainee rights, police misconduct, constitutional rights of accused persons, parole reform, and protecting the rights of protestors. Specific responsibilities include:
– Maintaining case files, including saving filed court documents and calendaring case-related events and deadlines;
– Gather, organize, and analyze records;
– Case management and other support including document management and review, which requires experience and fluency with legal software and databases, such as Relativity;
– Assisting with preparation and filing of legal documents, including proofing and formatting motions and briefs, appendices, and exhibits according to court rules; and
– Checking citations for accuracy and formatting, according to Bluebook rules;
– Conducting research of case law, social science, and other areas as needed, and drafting detailed memoranda communicating the results of such research;
– Discovery information management, trial preparation, and in-court and other discovery support work;
– Systematically tracking criminal justice issues that are determined to be the office’s priorities;
– Assisting with the preparation for court hearings and trial proceedings;
– Corresponding professionally as needed with clients, prospective clients, and others by email, phone, or letter; and
– Maintaining discretion and awareness of professional responsibility to clients and confidential matters.
– BA required; advanced degree such as MA, MSW, or Paralegal Certificate preferred;
– Energetic self-starter with a desire to make change in the justice system across the country;
– Strong organizational skills, including the ability to follow-through on assignments independently, to manage several projects at once, and to be flexible in the event of changing priorities and deadlines;
– Excellent writing and editing skills;
– A very close attention to detail and a commitment to completing tasks quickly and thoroughly;
– Ability to work creatively and effectively as part of a team to develop new legal initiatives;
– Experience using computer systems and databases—including Relativity, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Clio—and willingness to learn internal programs;
– Dedication to client service; and
– Must be comfortable working with people who are detained or incarcerated, and with visiting detention centers, prisons or jails, if necessary.
– Prior experience related to criminal justice, appellate litigation, or other exposure to the legal system is a plus.
Location: Saint Louis, Missouri. Due to COVID-19, our offices are currently closed and staff is working remotely. Job duties will be conducted in-person only if and when local, state, and federal health guidance deems it safe to do so. If this position is filled while our offices remain closed, the new employee will work remotely until the offices reopen. We are not asking newly hired employees to relocate while the offices are closed.
Deadline: RSMJC seeks to fill this position as soon as possible. Applications should be submitted by March 5, 2021.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter addressing your experience relevant to the considerations above. Candidates are encouraged to discuss any personal experience motivating their interest in criminal legal system reform and civil rights litigation. Please also send a resume, writing sample, and two references. All application materials should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Paralegal Application” in the subject line.
The salary is competitive, commensurate with experience, and includes an excellent benefits package.
The criminal legal system disproportionally harms people of color, people from low-income communities, the formerly-incarcerated, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ individuals. We strongly encourage those who identify within these and other communities underrepresented in the legal profession to apply. All applicants must have and be committed to the cultural competence required to work with clients and co-workers who come from different backgrounds and experiences. People with experience in community activism and/or organizing are also strongly encouraged to apply.
RSMJC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, disability, age, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, race or ethnicity.
Professional Level: Professional
Minimum Education Required: 4-year degree