Missouri Intake Coordinator/Administrative Assistant
The Roderick and Solange MacArthur Justice Center (RSMJC) is accepting applications for a full-time Intake Coordinator/Administrative Assistant with its Saint Louis, Missouri office. RSMJC is a public interest law firm that litigates high-impact civil rights and systemic reform cases in courts around the country. For more information about RSMJC and its past work, visit http://www.macarthurjustice.org/Missouri.
Role & Responsibilities:
RSMJC is looking for an intake coordinator and administrative assistantwho is passionate about criminal justice issues to join its Missouri office. The successful candidate will handle all requests for assistance and be responsible for a significant portion of our office’s communications related to client issues. Our requests for assistance, and our caseload, concern a broad array of issues, including prisoner and detainee rights, police misconduct, constitutional rights of accused persons, parole reform, and protecting the rights of protestors.
Specific responsibilities will include:
· Receive, analyze and prepare responses for the directors and attorneys to all written, telephoned, or emailed requests for assistance from persons who are not currently clients;
· Maintain intake database organizing and tracking initial and follow up intake correspondence, including identifying trends in requests for representation;
· Receive, scan, and file all incoming mail and email to appropriate staff members;
· Answer the main telephone line, route calls, and take messages;
· Assist attorneys in setting up legal calls with incarcerated clients;
· Assist attorneys in sending client mail;
· Greet clients/visitors to the office;
· Filing and maintaining all client hardcopy files;
· Assist with making copies and binders, as needed; ;
· Ordering and picking up transcripts from court reporters, as needed; and
· Assist with other tasks as assigned by the director, attorneys, or paralegal(s).
· BA preferred
· Energetic self-starter with a desire to make change in the criminal legal system;
· Dedication to client service;
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
· Must be comfortable working with people who are detained or incarcerated, and with visiting detention centers, prisons or jails, if necessary;
· Strong organizational skills, including the ability to follow-through on assignments independently, to manage several projects at once, and to be flexible in the event of changing priorities and deadlines;
· Strong writing skills;
· A very close attention to detail and a commitment to completing tasks quickly and thoroughly;
· Ability to work creatively and effectively as part of a team to develop new legal initiatives;
· Experience using computer systems and willingness to learn internal programs; and
· Prior experience related to criminal justice, appellate litigation, or other exposure to the legal system is a plus.
Location: Saint Louis, Missouri. Many of our staff members are currently working remotely due to COVID-19, however RSMJC expects this position to be in-person due to client and office needs.
Deadline: RSMJC seeks to fill this position as soon as possible. Applications should be submitted by June 28, 2021.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter addressing your experience relevant to the considerations above. Candidates are encouraged to discuss any personal experience motivating their interest in criminal legal system reform and civil rights litigation. Please also send a resume, writing sample, and two references. All application materials should be emailed to email@example.com with “Intake Coordinator/Admin Application” in the subject line.
The salary is competitive, commensurate with experience, and includes an excellent benefits package.
The criminal legal system disproportionally harms people of color, people from low-income communities, the formerly-incarcerated, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ individuals. We strongly encourage those who identify within these and other communities underrepresented in the legal profession to apply. All applicants must have and be committed to the cultural competence required to work with clients and co-workers who come from different backgrounds and experiences. People with experience in community activism and/or organizing are also strongly encouraged to apply.
RSMJC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, disability, age, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, race or ethnicity.
Professional Level: Professional
Minimum Education Required: Associate’s Degree.