Missouri Full-Time Staff Attorney
The Roderick and Solange MacArthur Justice Center (RSMJC) is accepting applications for a full-time Staff Attorney with its Saint Louis, Missouri office. RSMJC is a public interest law firm that litigates high-impact civil rights and systemic reform cases in courts around the country. For more information about RSMJC and its past work, visit http://www.macarthurjustice.org/Missouri.
Role & Responsibilities:
RSMJC is looking for an attorney with at least three years of experience who is passionate about criminal justice issues to join its Missouri office. The successful candidate will work on cases at the trial level concerning a broad array of issues, including prisoner and detainee rights, police misconduct, constitutional rights of accused persons, parole reform, and protecting the rights of protestors. Specific responsibilities include:
– Participate in litigation of matters within RSMJC’s Missouri civil rights litigation docket, including researching and drafting pleadings, motions, and briefs; conducting oral and written discovery; attending hearings and oral arguments; and participating in settlement conferences and trials in both state and federal courts;
– Working to promote the systemic change of criminal systems and to grow the organization’s presence at the national level;
– Participating in community meetings and actions, and building and sustaining relationships with community leaders, activists, local organizations, RSMJC attorneys in the other offices, and co-counsel
– Conduct and oversee client intake and field investigations;
– Travel as required for litigation and client interaction, including to prisons, jails, and other facilities of confinement;
– Regular professional interaction with clients and prospective clients;
– Contribute to development of the case docket, including conducting research and investigation, and developing strategies for pursuing issues relevant to the mission of the organization; and
– Commitments to social justice and to working collaboratively.
– JD and at least three years’ experience, preferably in federal court; clerkship experience preferred;
– Strong familiarity with concepts of criminal procedure, constitutional law, and 42 U.S.C. – 1983 litigation;
– Energetic self-starter with a passion for criminal justice reform and a desire to effectuate change in the St. Louis region, and Missouri more broadly;
– Strong organizational skills, including the ability to follow-through on assignments independently, to manage several projects and deadlines at once, and to be flexible in the event of changing priorities and deadlines;
– Excellent writing, editing, and oral communication skills;
– Very close attention to detail and a commitment to completing tasks quickly and thoroughly;
– Ability to work creatively and effectively as part of a cohesive team to develop new legal initiatives;
– Experience using computer systems and databases and willingness to learn internal programs;
– Strong interpersonal skills and ability to engage with clients and others in the community;
– Dedication to zealous advocacy and building client-centered relationships;
– Experience using computer systems and databases and willingness to learn internal programs; and
– Meticulous record and time keeping skills.
– Prior experience working on social justice campaigns and/or with justice-system involved adults and juveniles a plus.
– Admission to the Missouri Bar, or eligibility for admission upon hiring, and admission to the Illinois Bar preferred.
Location: Saint Louis, Missouri. Due to COVID-19, our offices are currently closed and staff is working remotely. Job duties will be conducted in-person only if and when local, state, and federal health guidance deems it safe to do so. If this position is filled while our offices remain closed, the new employee will work remotely until the offices reopen. We are not asking newly hired employees to relocate while the offices are closed.
Deadline: RSMJC seeks to fill this position as soon as possible. Applications should be submitted by March 5, 2021.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter addressing your experience relevant to the considerations above. Candidates are encouraged to discuss any personal experience motivating their interest in criminal legal system reform and civil rights litigation. Please also send a resume, writing sample, and two references. All application materials should be emailed to email@example.com with “Staff Attorney Application” in the subject line.
The salary is competitive, commensurate with experience, and includes an excellent benefits package.
The criminal legal system disproportionally harms people of color, people from low-income communities, the formerly-incarcerated, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ individuals. We strongly encourage those who identify within these and other communities underrepresented in the legal profession to apply. All applicants must have and be committed to the cultural competence required to work with clients and co-workers who come from different backgrounds and experiences. People with experience in community activism and/or organizing are also strongly encouraged to apply.
RSMJC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, disability, age, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, race or ethnicity.
Professional Level: Professional
Minimum Education Required: JD