Full-Time Summer Law Clerk—Paid Position (Missouri)
The Roderick and Solange MacArthur Justice Center (RSMJC) is accepting applications for full-time summer law clerks in its Saint Louis, Missouri office, for Summer 2021. RSMJC is a public interest law firm that has litigated countless high-impact civil rights and systemic reform cases in courts around the country for over 30 years. For more information about our new office, visit our website: https://www.macarthurjustice.org/missouri/.
Law clerks perform a range of duties to support the office’s trial work, advocacy, and outreach. Such tasks may include assisting with client intake in jails, prisons, and the community, field investigations, legal research, discovery support, and evidence preparation.
– JD student in good standing—prefer advanced standing students but will consider 1Ls;
– Energetic self-starter with a passion for criminal justice reform and a desire to effectuate change in the St. Louis region;
– Strong research, writing, and organizational skills;
– Ability to follow-through on assignments independently;
– Maturity and flexibility around changing priorities and deadlines as needed;
– Strong attention to detail and commitment to completing tasks quickly and thoroughly;
– Strong interpersonal skills and ability to engage with clients and others in the community;
– Ability to investigate facts and effectively communicate findings to litigation team;
– Dedication to zealous advocacy and building client-centered relationships;
– Strong written and oral communication skills;
– Experience with computer systems and databases; and
– Meticulous record and time keeping skills.
– Prior experience working on social justice campaigns and/or with justice-system involved adults and juveniles a plus.
Location: Saint Louis, Missouri. Due to COVID-19, our offices are currently closed and staff is working remotely. Job duties will be conducted in-person only if and when local, state, and federal health guidance deems it safe to do so. If our offices remain closed this summer, law clerks will work remotely. Separately, we also will consider requests to work remotely, even if our offices are reopened this summer.
Deadline: Applications should be submitted by March 2, 2021. To apply, please submit a cover letter addressing your experience relevant to the considerations above. Candidates are encouraged to discuss any personal experience motivating their interest in criminal legal system reform and civil rights litigation. Please also send a resume and writing sample. All materials may be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Law Clerk Application.”
Compensation: This is a paid position, at $16/hour.
The criminal legal system disproportionally harms people of color, people from low-income communities, the formerly-incarcerated, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ individuals. We strongly encourage those who identify within these and other communities underrepresented in the legal profession to apply. All applicants must have and be committed to the cultural competence required to work with clients and co-workers who come from different backgrounds and experiences. People with experience in community activism and/or organizing are also strongly encouraged to apply.
RSMJC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, disability, age, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, race or ethnicity.