Administrative Assistant (Washington, D.C.)
The MacArthur Justice Center (“MJC”) is a public interest law firm that litigates high-impact civil rights and criminal justice cases in courts around the country. MJC’s D.C. office focuses on cases before the Supreme Court of the United States, the federal courts of appeal, and state courts of appeal all across the country. For more information about MJC and its work, click here: http://www.macarthurjusticecenter.org/index.html.
MJC seeks an Administrative Assistant to support the operations of its D.C. office. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of important, cutting-edge litigation aimed to improve the lives of those who become caught up in the criminal legal system. The successful candidate will perform a range of duties to support the office’s work. They will work closely with the office’s Director, Senior Appellate Research Specialist and Appellate Paralegal to manage office-related tasks and other administrative duties necessary to the office’s casework.
The ideal candidate would be available to work full-time (40 hours per week); however, requests for a part-time arrangement will be considered.
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required;
· Self-starter who would be excited to join a team trying to change the criminal legal system across the country;
· Strong organizational skills, including the ability to follow-through on assignments independently, to manage multiple projects at once, and to be flexible in the event of changing priorities and deadlines;
· Ability to work effectively as part of a team, and understanding that a team made of people with a diversity of experiences, skills, and viewpoints is a strength;
· A close (if not obsessive) attention to detail and a commitment to completing tasks efficiently and diligently;
· Experience using computer systems and databases and willingness to learn internal programs;
· A strong interest in learning about the workings of the U.S. Supreme Court and other appellate courts;
· Prior experience related to criminal justice, the Supreme Court, or other exposure to the legal system is a plus.
· Communicating with the office’s clients and other people seeking assistance from the firm, including by serving as a first-point of contact for phone calls and assisting with incoming and outgoing mail;
· Administrative work for staff in the D.C. office, including the payment of invoices, submission of expense reports, scheduling travel, and assisting the office’s Director with scheduling;
· Serving as the office’s liaison with building management, the office’s remote IT support, and the organization’s Treasurer/benefits coordinator;
· Maintaining office supplies and equipment, and other administrative tasks associated with managing an office space;
· Maintaining discretion and awareness of professional responsibility to clients and confidential matters.
Location: Washington, D.C.
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but MJC seeks to fill this position as soon as possible.
Applicants with diverse backgrounds and life experiences are highly encouraged to apply. The salary is competitive and includes an excellent benefits package. To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and two references by e-mail to email@example.com.
The MacArthur Justice Center is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, disability, age, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, race or ethnicity.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and two references by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED:
4-year degree or equivalent experience